At Absolute Plumbing and Drain of El Cerrito– it’s in our name! We specialize in all manner of drain cleaning and can help you to clear a clog or schedule routine drain cleaning maintenance. Keeping your drains clear and free from clogs and obstructions is essential to the health and wellness of you and your family.
Some of the more common signs that your drain system is ailing are:
- When you get out of the tub and pull the plug … nothing happens. The used bathwater stays in the tub and doesn’t drain at all or, it drains very slowly
- When you are brushing your teeth, you notice the sink fill with water, toothpaste, and spit.
- Your kitchen drain has water and food scrapes rising up into the sink basin
- When you turn on your washing machine you notice that your kitchen or laundry room sinks make a gurgling noise
Most people know how to unclog a toilet – it is, after all, the most common of all of the clogged drains. Fun fact: A clogged toilet is the number one call that plumbers Nationwide get on Thanksgiving.
So, why is the toilet getting clogged so often? Most of the time it is because people don’t consider what they are flushing down the toilet. As the saying goes, “Don’t use your toilet like a garbage can.” Many people flush things down the toilet – that are technically non-flushable. And, they do this over and over again.
Think about it. If every person in your home flushed a washrag down the toilet several times per day, how soon before your toilet got clogged?
That is basically what is happening any time you or a family member flush these items down the toilet:
- Dental floss
- Make-up removing cloths
- Baby wipes
- Cotton balls
None of these items are technically “flushable” – though they are all paper products. Your toilet was designed to only rid your home of human waste liquids and solids – that is all that should be flushed.
But, we at Absolute Plumbing and Drain of El Cerrito know that not all homeowners know or understand the importance of not flushing these items down the toilet. So, we have made sure to garner the necessary training, skills, and equipment to provide outstanding drain cleaning services to all of our clients – regardless of the cause.
If you are inspired to handle a drain clog in your home on your own, make sure that you do NOT do any of the following:
- Do not pour chemicals down your drains. The marketing and packaging might be alluring with the promise to rid your drain of the clog and fast – these products do not actually work. And, they can cause serious damage to your pipes because they get stuck on this side of the clog and begin to corrode your pipes. Avoid over-the-counter drain cleaning chemicals.
- Don’t put tools down the drain. If you are fishing around in your drains, hoping to catch what is causing the clog, it is important to be thinking about the tool that you are using. If it is a screwdriver, a hook, or a stick – get it away from your drain. These items could easily be dropped into the drain and compound your problem.
- Get a new plunger. If you have a plunger in your home, chances are it has been used in your toilet. If you run into a clog in your sinks – get a new plunger. In fact, get a sink plunger. Don’t try to use the plunger from your toilet for a clog in your kitchen sink.
A drain clog is mess, inconvenient, and incredibly disruptive. At Absolute Plumbing and Drain of El Cerrito, we completely understand! That is why we have a live person dedicated to answering our phone at all times – never a machine.
We are dedicated to getting your drains cleaned thoroughly and with care so that you can get back to your very important to-do list. You can count on the dedicated team at Absolute Plumbing and Drain of El Cerrito for outstanding customer care and service.